Boeuf Bourgignon - Beef Stew
Beef Bourguignon (Boeuf Bourguignon in French) also known
as classic French beef stew in red wine is a very well-known
traditionally French recipe.
It is prepared with cubed pieces of beef stewed in red wine
and generally flavoured with garlic, onions and a bouquet
3 large onions
1kg beef, blade steak, or stewing shoulder cut.
300g of chopped carrot
300g of button mushrooms
bouquet of herbs, basil rosemary and thyme tied with string.
2-4 cups of red wine
1-2 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper
- Cut beef into large 5cm chunks, season with salt, pepper
and olive oil
- Cook beef a small amount at a time in a dutch oven
or large saucepan untill its golden brown on the outside,
remove each portion as its done and set aside.
- Add 3 large onions and garlic to the same pot and cook
till golden brown
- Sprinkle with 2 tablesppons of flour
- Add 1-2 cups of red wine
- Bring wine to a boil then simmer for 5 mins
- Add beef, carrots, herbs, mushrooms
- Add another couple of cups of red wine and water enuff
to cover the meat and veg
- Cook for 2-3 hours, stiring occasionaly remove surface
scum as required
How to Serve :
Serve on mash potato, any leftovers make some beef pies
with puff pastry.
: This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the